FANDOM


  • Personally, I don't like him a whole lot but he seems okay. I think what I like the least though is that he seems to be keeping Ikuya away from the original squad. Also, was I the only one who thought he was Natsuya at first when I saw him? (He also looks strikingly like Oikawa from Haikyuu!!)

      Loading editor
    • He´s cute overprotective cinnamon roll. He doesn´t want Ikuya to get broken again. Ikuya is also probably his only friend and Hiyori is afraid, if he´ll let Ikuya hang out with others, he´ll lose him completely. 

      I also think Hiyori and Ikuya knows each other from elementary school, then got separated and ended up meeting again in high school.

        Loading editor
    • This is honestly Sousuke all over again.

      I would say we all wait and see the real reason behind his protective reason before we jump to conclusions. 

        Loading editor
    • I mean, he is not bad and have his reasons to be protective over Ikuya and such, but I am mostly curious about his past and other things. Why he wants Ikuya to avoid the others, perhaps he knows about what happened in Iwatobi or something else? I don't know, but he is interesting.

        Loading editor
    • Luxartisan
      Luxartisan removed this reply because:
      Use of vulgar language is not allowed on this wikia.
      05:32, August 7, 2018
      This reply has been removed
    • hes a rat lmao

        Loading editor
    • I mean, he's a kind of good guy for protecting Ikuya but the way he 'protects' Ikuya pisses me off. Not to mention he's an asshole for making those really rude comments towards Haru and the others.

        Loading editor
    • I do not trust him

        Loading editor
    • Luxartisan
      Luxartisan removed this reply because:
      Use of vulgar language is not allowed on this wikia.
      05:32, August 7, 2018
      This reply has been removed
    • Он милый и хамоватый мальчик, (тип персонажей которых я просто обожаю) который и ведёт себя как козёл по отношению к главным героям, но это не мешает ему быть интересным персонажем, историю которого ещё и не успели нам полностью раскрыть. Да, он грубо разговаривает с гг, но у него на это есть и свои причины, ввиде защиты Икуи (хоть сам Икуя меня и подбешивает) \(*-*)/ 

        Loading editor
    • I used to hate and distrust him but I think now I have feelings for him.

        Loading editor
    • I hate him. No question about it. And him suddenly being buddy buddy with everyone without saying sorry for his past words to Haru and his attempts to control Ikuya and keep him in his little bubble piss me off to no end. He needs to earn their trust and their forgiveness. Not be implied to have been forgiven. Ikuya and especially Haru need Hiyori to say how sorry he was for his behavior. I just hate how the writers are writing him in general. Somebody just please make his a better character by the end of this season or I will lose it.

      To sum up my issues with Hiyori, here is this random youtuber with basically my thoughts on him in short:

      https://youtu.be/Qy3LNOQ34MU?t=7m7s

        Loading editor
    • i hate him, hes too clingy and even though he redeemed himself i stil cant like him. he tried to control ikuya and take him away from his friends.

        Loading editor
    • ¡Amo a Hiyori! Es uno de mis personajes favoritos. No hablen si no vieron el último episodio... Hiyori solo quiere proteger a Ikuya, es un amor, no quiere que vuelva a pasar por malos momentos. Ahora es amigo de todos y todo está bien, pero yo lo amo desde siempre!! Además, creo que siente algo por Ikuya, y los super shippeo.

        Loading editor
    • I don't like him at all, and I hate how he's suddenly done a complete personality 180 and somehow everyone is okay with him?? He's overbearing and controlling (not to mention obsessive), and even if he's apparently "nice" now, I still hate him.

        Loading editor
    • the obsessive part of him belongs on r/niceguys

        Loading editor
    • I recently rewatched S3 in its entirety and have to say Hiyori was really nasty to the boys, especially towards Haru who kept his cool when most anyone else would have lost it.  Even Makoto, ever the gentleman, got seriously ticked at Hiyori's manner towards Haru. Did you notice how menacing he suddenly became? Even his voice changed. It was a little scary, but also wonderful to watch that giant teddy bear show grizzly bear fangs in protecting his boy. Anyway...I also remember thinking Natsuya was totally selfish to dump Ikuya's health and training on Hiyori, friend or not, just so he could gallavant and drink his way around the world. Hiyori took it very seriously, knowing Ikuya could die. So maybe it went to his head or maybe he just was scared to death he wasn't up to the job. Hiyori is just a young guy himself, with his own future to think about, yet Ikuya never once seems to worry about anyone but himself, eh? Maybe there's a trace of selfishness in both Karishima brothers. I'm just glad Natsuya realized his responsibilties and his foolishness and that Ikuya reconciled with Haruka and the others. Best of all, he finally admitted that he didn't treat Hiyori the way a friend should and that's when Hiyori's attitude began to change. I was happy for them both.

      And...I keep remembering when fans bent over backwards to give Rin loads of chances when he was an absolute dick towards Haru in S1, yet not Hiyori now. Why is that? Is it bc of a crush on Rin or their liking Rinharu as their OTP? That's hypocritical, but it might be true. I still want Hiyori to apologize for his behavior and yeah, he still has issues to work out, but so does eveyone. The attitude shown by Haru and the others in welcoming Hiyori into their circle is kind, generous and maybe a little foolhardy, but it role models what the Japanese consider proper etiquette in maintaining a peaceful society, and in associating with people who treat one another with fairness, honesty and compassion (as Haru's circle does), Hiyori and Ikuya will learn those traits, as well. I like that they welcome him. It makes them the heroes I know our swim boys are. 

        Loading editor
    • Luxartisan wrote:
      I recently rewatched S3 in its entirety and have to say Hiyori was really nasty to the boys, especially towards Haru who kept his cool when most anyone else would have lost it.  Even Makoto, ever the gentleman, got seriously ticked at Hiyori's manner towards Haru. Did you notice how menacing he suddenly became? Even his voice changed. It was a little scary, but also wonderful to watch that giant teddy bear show grizzly bear fangs in protecting his boy. Anyway...I also remember thinking Natsuya was totally selfish to dump Ikuya's health and training on Hiyori, friend or not, just so he could gallavant and drink his way around the world. Hiyori took it very seriously, knowing Ikuya could die. So maybe it went to his head or maybe he just was scared to death he wasn't up to the job. Hiyori is just a young guy himself, with his own future to think about, yet Ikuya never once seems to worry about anyone but himself, eh? Maybe there's a trace of selfishness in both Karishima brothers. I'm just glad Natsuya realized his responsibilties and his foolishness and that Ikuya reconciled with Haruka and the others. Best of all, he finally admitted that he didn't treat Hiyori the way a friend should and that's when Hiyori's attitude began to change. I was happy for them both.

      And...I keep remembering when fans bent over backwards to give Rin loads of chances when he was an absolute dick towards Haru in S1, yet not Hiyori now. Why is that? Is it bc of a crush on Rin or their liking Rinharu as their OTP? That's hypocritical, but it might be true. I still want Hiyori to apologize for his behavior and yeah, he still has issues to work out, but so does eveyone. The attitude shown by Haru and the others in welcoming Hiyori into their circle is kind, generous and maybe a little foolhardy, but it role models what the Japanese consider proper etiquette in maintaining a peaceful society, and in associating with people who treat one another with fairness, honesty and compassion (as Haru's circle does), Hiyori and Ikuya will learn those traits, as well. I like that they welcome him. It makes them the heroes I know our swim boys are. 

      I COMPLETELY AND WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE WITH THE ABOVE. while he was definitely kinda an Asshole and he should certainly apologize, i feel like he receives a lot of unwarranted hatred.. i can sort of identify with some of his struggles which makes him such an important character to me now! i used to really dislike him but i began to warm up to him when his backstory and his reliance on ikuya was explored more T_T

        Loading editor
    • Do you hate Rin? Do you hate Sousuke? Because if you hate Hiyori that's mean you hate both rin and sousuke. Hiyori is being a jerk to Haru? Well, Rin did that too in the first season. He's too controlling when it comes to Ikuya? Well, Sousuke was like that too. However,in the end he is just a person with good intention, who want to protect his friend while ignoring his own pain. And you know that reminds me of who? Makoto. He is selfless and willing to do anything for Ikuya. He deserve no hate from anyone.

        Loading editor
    • Hiyori Tono is the light of my life. He's the Free! character that brings me the most unadulterated joy, and no words will encapsulate how much I enjoy the delight of a character that is Hiyori Tono. He has layers-- layers I would love to explore, examining each and every one of his motives closely. Everything he does stems from his neglect as a child, really. Why is he so dependant on Ikuya? Why is he so desperate for his attention? If you link the dots, it's clear-- it's a natural reaction, really. He didn't get the love he needed as a child, so when someone spoke to him, he got attached quickly. Of course, this unhealthy attachment is what caused Hiyori to react cruelly to Haru and Co. He only knows them for hurting the person he values more than everything, so of course he'd want to pull them apart. Obviously, this isn't a good move-- Hiyori doesn't realize just how significant Haruka's reappearance is for Ikuya's mental health, whether negatively or positively. Hiyori probably does believe that meeting up with Haru would be worse for Ikuya. This, and there's likely that selfish part of Hiyori that wishes for Ikuya to love him in the same way Hiyori loves him... anyway allof this aside i really lrealyl realyl really really really realyl really realyl REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY love hiyori tono. It's 4:29AM.

        Loading editor
    • Whoa. That's a lot of love, but okay. We all feel that way about a character sometimes. Hiyori deserves his fair share, too. Your insight into his character sounds on target. I just wish we would have gotten an on-screen apology from Hiyori to Haru for what he said. He likely did so off-screen but that was a big faux pas on Kyoani's part, especially when they showed Hiyori showing up along with Ikuya at meets, being friendly with the boys and things like that. It's not like a Japanese person not to apologize after they realize they're wrong about something or offended someone who didn't deserve it, unless that's something Kyoani plans to show in S4. Ah, S4 in 2020. Something to look forward to, eh? Angelle aka Luxartisan 01:22, December 17, 2018 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • Luxartisan wrote:
      Whoa. That's a lot of love, but okay. We all feel that way about a character sometimes. Hiyori deserves his fair share, too. Your insight into his character sounds on target. I just wish we would have gotten an on-screen apology from Hiyori to Haru for what he said. He likely did so off-screen but that was a big faux pas on Kyoani's part, especially when they showed Hiyori showing up along with Ikuya at meets, being friendly with the boys and things like that. It's not like a Japanese person not to apologize after they realize they're wrong about something or offended someone who didn't deserve it, unless that's something Kyoani plans to show in S4. Ah, S4 in 2020. Something to look forward to, eh? Angelle aka Luxartisan 01:22, December 17, 2018 (UTC)

      YES FOR SURE.. i remember after the episode regarding his childhood i was Soo desperately hoping for hiyori to apologize.. he definitely had motives behind his actions but that doesnt mean they were excusable.. i would be relaly interested in seeing it in s4 FDLGSGDJ i just love hiyocchi so much and i want kyoani to really show him in a positive light

        Loading editor
    • i think he's a crackhead but i can't say for sho cuz im lackin and need 2 finish dive to the future smh

        Loading editor
    • SubarashiiHibi wrote:
      i think he's a crackhead but i can't say for sho cuz im lackin and need 2 finish dive to the future smh

      he kind of Is a crackhead Finish DF

        Loading editor
    • Kantonian wrote:
      SubarashiiHibi wrote:
      i think he's a crackhead but i can't say for sho cuz im lackin and need 2 finish dive to the future smh
      he kind of Is a crackhead Finish DF

      good to hear, i always love seeing crackhead rep in anime :)

        Loading editor
    • REDEMPTI0ON ARC HAPPENED THX HIYORI LY

        Loading editor
    • Obviously Hiyori is a bastard. But I don't like clinging onto negative emotions so I'll just accept him into the group. (but of course his place is at the very bottom of the group and I don't care bout him other than that he's a relatable lonely boy like me)

        Loading editor
    • .. I love him. So much. Too much. Nooobodyyy can change that. He deserve love tho? Must understand him omg... Some people are... Very too mean with him.. I'm rlly shocked tbh When i see bad comments on him.. I'm so sad and confused i swear. Its 2019 and people still hate him? Disgusting. I hope in rw he will be more appreciated and loved :'(. Okay I hated him at first too, but, I didn't understand But i realized that he was so lonely but people doesn't care of this.. Obviously that I see on comments... Omg. Soooo,i really love Hiyori so much so much so much so much so much so much

        Loading editor
    • Hiyori Tono fan. wrote:
      .. I love him. So much. Too much. Nooobodyyy can change that.

      He deserve love tho? Must understand him omg... Some people are... Very too mean with him.. I'm rlly shocked tbh When i see bad comments on him.. I'm so sad and confused i swear. Its 2019 and people still hate him? Disgusting. I hope in rw he will be more appreciated and loved :'(. Okay I hated him at first too, but, I didn't understand But i realized that he was so lonely but people doesn't care of this.. Obviously that I see on comments... Omg. Soooo,i really love Hiyori so much so much so much so much so much so much

      felt this

        Loading editor
    • "It's not like a Japanese person" is a decent point - Hiyori spent a long time in America and even before that seems much more of a Tokyo type than an Iwatobi type (though precisely how long he lived in each of those two Japanese locales is kind of confusing). He's the person who "smiles too much". You don't always fake a SMILE all the time in Japan.

      That said, he's just scared, I think. He really doesn't know how to express his emotions, because of his childhood (and the only other person he really hung out with is Ikuya who's not exactly Mr. Open himself). He just hides behind a smile and hopes for the best.

      His actions towards Haru (and Makoto and Asahi) were taken way out of proportion. Haru's return is triggering Ikuya almost drowning again, an event that will obviously have a deep resonance for Hiyori as well. Hiyori has selfish motives in part but it's not to the point of actually wanting Ikuya to be isolated or dependent. He even talks with Natsuya who obviously has no such motives for Ikuya either. Ikuya and Haru both had plenty of opportunities to facebook each other and didn't. Sousuke is here breaking his own shoulder to manipulate Rin. Is Sousuke the devil? No, then leave Hiyori alone. He's just a guy.

        Loading editor
    • He never kept Ikuya away. Ikuya could have seen them at anytime. Especially in episode 4. He mentions he saw them and didn't engage.

      Hiyori mentions if it was okay to tell them "the same thing he did last time" which was that it was a busy and critical time for him. Ikuya tells him yeah.

      The hate for Hiyori in this day and age is confusing to me lmao...

        Loading editor
    • Hiyori did use some pretty elaborate approaches like going around to the showers to bring Ikuya out of the other exit so he wouldn't have to see the others and not informing him at that time (this is in episode 2), but it really is like, Ikuya is not just banging on the bars of a prison cell, guys.

        Loading editor
    • It's been 2 years but I still love him . Anyway i think hiyori just has bpd or something

        Loading editor
    • I hate this man so much. It's unreal.

        Loading editor
    • I just hate him so much Dx 
      Yir1XIK
        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.