— Rin, speaking to Haruka Nanase
|Also known as|| Rinrin|
Rin-chan (by Nagisa)
Matsuoka-senpai and Rin-senpai (by Aiichirou)
|Age|| 17 (Free!)|
18-19 (Dive to the Future)
|Height|| 145 cm (4'9") (High☆Speed!)|
177 cm (5'10") (Free!)
179 cm (5'10") (Dive to the Future)
|Weight|| 39 kg (86 lb) (High☆Speed!)|
68 kg (150 lb) (Free!)
|Affiliation|| Sano Elementary School (former)|
Iwatobi Elementary School (former)
Iwatobi Swimming Club (former)
Samezuka Academy (former)
Australian Swimming Team
|Function||Captain of the Swimming Team (retired)|
|Swim Style|| Butterfly (specialty)|
|Events|| 50m free|
4x100m individual medley
4x100m medley relay
|Relatives|| Toraichi Matsuoka (father, deceased)|
Miyako Matsuoka (mother) 
Gou Matsuoka (younger sister)
Kyou Matsuoka (grandmother)
|Light Novel||Chapter 1|
|Japanese|| Mamoru Miyano|
Akeno Watanabe (Child)
|English|| Vic Mignogna|
Maxey Whitehead (Child)
Rin Matsuoka (松岡 凛 Matsuoka Rin) is one of the main characters of the anime series Free! and the light novel High☆Speed!. He was the freestyle and butterfly swimmer on Samezuka Academy's swim team. After Seijuro Mikoshiba graduated from Samezuka Academy, Rin became the new captain. Rin is currently training with a swim team in Sydney, Australia.
Rin is a muscular young man with semi-long, maroon colored hair. He has red eyes and shark-like teeth. His winter and fall school uniform consist of white trousers, a white buttoned up jacket with a black t-shirt underneath it and black shoes. In the spring, his uniform consists of a black polo shirt with a pink collar, as well as a pair of white pants and black shoes. His school bag is a red messenger bag with the word "shark" printed on the outside.
While swimming, he wears black jammers which have red markings trailing along the length of his outer legs and thighs, as well as a pair of dark blue tinted goggles.
When he was young, Rin showed a lot of passion and competitiveness for swimming, as well as an interest in teamwork. After years passed, his ideals about swimming drastically changed. He does not care that much about the trophy they won during their elementary school days.
As the Iwatobi High School Swim Club continues to practice and have fun together, Rin often times catch glimpses of them during their practices and is notably morose when he sees how happy they are together while he stands there alone. The teenager aspires to make his father's dream of becoming an Olympic swimmer come true and has detached himself from everyone while working toward that particular goal. At times, Rin displays a softer side, as he is shown to still harbor concern for his friends' well-being and acts like a mentor toward his younger sister Gou and teammate Nitori. Rin is conflicted emotionally, but his pride as a swimmer is used to mask his insecurities.
Rin's father died when Rin was very young; his father was a swimmer who had dreamed of going to the Olympics but had to give-up his goal and become a fisherman. Due to a tragic incident (a storm), his father drowned three kilometers off the coast along with the rest of his crew. Rin stated that he has very few memories of his father and cannot even recall what his father looked like, as his father would be gone for days while out fishing. Rin decided to try and become an Olympic swimmer because he believes that by following this path, he will be able to see his father's face. Rin puts his swimming goggles on in the same way his father did (by pulling the strap back and letting it snap back onto the back of his swim cap).Rin joined the Iwatobi Swimming Club prior to leaving for Australia because that was his father's old club, where his father and his teammates had won the relay. Rin wanted to make a team and win the relay to emulate his father as he started down the path of becoming an Olympic swimmer.
- Main article: Rin Matsuoka/Plot
- Main article: Rin Matsuoka/Relationships
- Main article: Rin Matsuoka/Music
Creation and Conception
- Like all swimmers associated with the Iwatobi High School Swimming Club, Rin has a female name.
- Rin is the type of person who cannot sleep without his pillow.
- Haruka stated that Rin accidentally called his coach "mom" during elementary school.
- Gou has admitted that Rin shaves his body hair to reduce water resistance.
- Rin's best subjects are English and Math, while he's bad at Literature and Old Japanese.
- Rin likes sports that he's good at.
- Rin's best stroke is the butterfly, but his obsession with beating Haruka, who only swims freestyle, leads him to focus on that stroke and whatever distance Haruka is swimming in competition only.
- In the same series, Akeno Watanabe (Rin's child voice actor) also voices his sister Gou Matsuoka.
- Rin appears to have inherited his shark-like teeth from his father.
- Whenever Rin meets a new crowd, he always starts off with introducing his name, pointing out how girly it is, and clarifying that he is a guy despite his girly name.
- Rin loves survival games.
- He has a pet cat named Steve.
- When they were kids Rin slept together with Haru in his bed for a sleepover because he forgot his special pillow. (Duet/Drama CD)
- In Free! Take Your Marks when Haruka is looking for an apartment in Tokyo Rin says, " Tell Haru it won’t matter when you are asleep." referring to the hotal incident where they were forced to share a bed.
- Adult Rin has more of a sense of humor than little Rin and its also a bit kinky like when he swim's against Haru and Rei he says "watch out, im going to bite you from behind!" but is still as sensitive as he was as a child and is likely to cry at movies and if he lose's a race.
- Rin likes both cats and dogs even though cats never seem to like him.
- He owns a diary.
- His motif animal is a shark.